Faculty and Staff
Jim Phelan is an award winning producer, director and cinematographer, which include the prestigious Emmy. In addition to his three Emmy Award nominations, Phelan has been honored by the Number One Show New York, Creative Advertising Club of Detroit, Houston International Film Festival, Colorado Broadcasters Association, U.S. Television Commercial Festival, American Advertising Federation, Art Director’s Club of Chicago, Art Director’s Club of Denver, National Educational Media Network, Alfies, Addy, Telly, Clio and the Cine Golden Eagle.
Serving a total of 20 years on the board of the Denver Film Society, Phelan was the Chairman for six years. He also served as a board member for the Colorado Federation of the Arts, Vice President of the National Association of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS), President of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Association of Independent of Commercial Producers and the Colorado Film Association, predecessor of CFVA, and the National Vice President of The Association of Independent Commercial Producers.
Mr. Phelan is now on the faculty, teaching film production, at the University of Colorado Denver. In 2017 his 2016 web series class was nominated in eight categories and accepted to the Los Angeles Web Festival and subsequently won three. Jim was also invited to be part of panel discussions during the festival, held at Sony Studios, Culver City Ca. Additionally, he has taken his web series class to Los Angeles for the finals for the National Collegiate Student Emmy’s, where his students walked away with statues in their hands.
Producer, Director/Cinematographer for hundreds of films, television shows and spots, Phelan’s clients included United Artists, HBO, Alpha Hydrox, Belleza Latina, Ford Cars & Trucks, Subway Sandwiches, McDonald’s, Scott’s Liquid Gold, Pizza Hut, The Colorado Lottery, Cellular One, Pepsi, Colorado National Bank, Norwest Bank, The Denver Post, Rocky Mountain News, The Children’s Hospital, St. Anthony Hospital Central, The United Way and many more. He has also produced a series of medical videos for the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Center. Phelan has just finished season one for “The Joey Canyon Show” a national cable television program that highlights country music.
Phelan’s documentary and other work includes the following:
- Chalice of Repose, a short film on Therese Shroeder Sheker and her music for healing, death and dying, Emmy nomination.
- Elem Klemov, a one hour documentary for PBS (Channel 4 London) on Elem Klemov, the Russian film director whose films were confiscated by the government before he became the government’s Minister of the Arts; The film was also shown at the Denver International Film Festival and on cable TV in the states.
- Children With Cancer Talk About Children With Cancer
- Siblings: Siblings of Children With Cancer, Children’s Hospital Oncology
- Children’s Hospital: For a Child’s Sake, a series of films on children with cancer and siblings of children with cancer shown nationwide at Children’s Hospitals Oncology departments.
- Six half hour programs for PBS Denver for “The Eclectics”.
- Advisor Executive Producer on the “Mortal Coils” web series nominated for the National College Emmy Award.
- Cinematographer, documentary film called “No Bigger Than a Minute” received the Cine Golden Eagle.
Along with his activity in the film community, Phelan works with community nonprofit organizations. He served as President of the Colorado Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and currently works with the Eating Disorder Foundation of Colorado as a consultant for communications. In 2007 Phelan was honored for his work with the Volunteers of America by winning the 2007 Gold Key award from the Colorado Business Marketing Association. In 2008 Jim completed six- half hour TV shows for Public Broadcasting in Denver. Ranging from Ragtime jazz to The Dead Sea Scrolls.